Tuesday, December 14, 2010

The True Definition of Chic

“What is Chic? Chic is one of the few things which, refusing to bow down and worship fashion, is not crushed under the wheels of that Juggernaut. Chic is to fashion what poetry is to prose, cold veal to roast partridge, a gad-fly to a bull. What is chic may, in a sense, be fashionable, but what is fashionable cannot be chic.
Anybody can wear and do what is fashionable. It is not fashionable unless a lot of people do it, and have it on- until, in three words, which grate rather hard upon the ear in this connection, it is common. Chic cannot be common. You cannot put on another person’s chic, as you may her boots or her hat. You cannot copy it. You never know where to look for it.

Fashion is incessantly trying to catch chic, but chic won’t be caught. If fashion is the monarchy, chic is the revolution. It is the revolution whose watchwords are Liberty, Fancy, and Diversity. ” – Quoted and modified from The New York Times Article Archieves of October 7, 1877.

I find this article to be a beautiful read and decided to share it. Though I am not a regular follower of fashion trends, I sometimes purchase an item I like and wear it with something old. For instance, I would pair a trendy top with old jeans or a skirt, but most of the time, I would keep my clothes long after the season is over before I attempt to create a unique outfit.

To me, the universal language of chic is classic, elegance, style, and timeless. To speak this language, I have learned to know what works best for my figure and how to flatter it effortlessly.

No comments: